External Hard Drive advice.

andypurcell 27 Mar 13

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advanced advice around the purchase of a new external HDD as my current 2Tb USB 2.0 is now pretty much full, and has never been the fastest.

What I'm looking for is a drive with the best transfer speeds and high ability when it comes to streaming HD videos onto my laptop.

I have a Dell Studio 1558 laptop which has several USB 2.0 ports, an eSATA port, and a Gigabit LAN port.

The option of an eSATA external HDD is one way I could go, but I'm trying to find out whether or not a NAS HDD would be a better option?

My set up is a TP-Link 500Mbps powerline adapter supplying internet access from my BT Homehub3 to a TP-Link 5-port Gigabit Switch in my upstairs bedroom. As well as the other powerline adapter, I also have my laptop, Sky OnDemand, and xbox 360 all plugged into this Switch.

This leaves me with one free Ethernet port on my Gigabit switch; if I buy a NAS HDD and plug it in to my Switch, will this HDD be accessible without any issues from my laptop, and what would the performance be like vs eSATA option?

Hope you guys can help, thanks in advance

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message