External Hard Drive

muffin1947 22:43 13 Sep 09

I have a Seagate external drive connected to my computer but when I now click on my computer it is not listed.When I click on my devices it is shown.When I unplug it and then plug it back in I get the message new hardware found Seagate hard drive but it still does not appear when I click on my computer any ideas anyone.This has only just started.

BRYNIT 23:07 13 Sep 09

Check in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer management/Disk management and check you have a drive letter assigned.

muffin1947 23:08 13 Sep 09

Further to this post when the drive is connected the safely remove hardware icon by the clock is there when I unplug the drive that icon dissappears.When I click on the safely remove hardware icon it says safely remove mass storage device -drive H.When I click on my computer there is a drive H and when I click on remove drive H dissappears from my computer which leaves me to think my external drive is being called drive H.I never had a drive H before.When I double click on drive H on my computer all I get is blank screen.Hope someone can advise.

muffin1947 06:39 14 Sep 09

Hi BRYNIT Have done what you suggested and it has been allocated letter H which is what is on my devices when I click on that and when I click on safely remove hardware and that is the only hardware connected.When I double click on drive H nothing happens.It should show on my computer as Seagate drive the same as it does on my devices.Any ideas

muffin1947 06:56 14 Sep 09

I have just double clicked on local disc H and after about three or four minutes got the message

DISC IS NOT FORMATTED
The disc in drive H is not formatted do you want to format it now Yes/No

I have had this drive now for over a year without any problems so what does this message mean and what happens if I click yes to format the disc as I do not want to lose whats on there.

BRYNIT 10:02 14 Sep 09

It sound as though you may have a problem with the drive itself or a corrupt file preventing the drive to be read.

I don't know if it will work but you could try Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express click here its a free download.

sharpamat 14:14 14 Sep 09

This click here Was a problem after formating a drive where they recovered the data they had wiped. this may be of use if you can get into the drive to recover the data

Woolwell 14:30 14 Sep 09

The first thing that I do when I get a problem with an external hard drive which cannot be read is disconnect it from the computer, make sure that all power is off it (external power especially), leave a few seconds and then start again. If necessary then I also re-boot my PC. That usually sorts it out.

BurrWalnut 15:07 14 Sep 09

Don’t format it, try TestDisk first! TestDisk has gained a good reputation for repairing bad sectors and partitions.

Download the correct version from click here After downloading, unzip it, double-click testdisk_win.exe to run it and follow the prompts to repair the device. It doesn’t need installing.

Before running it, make sure you read the guides click here and click here

muffin1947 08:14 17 Sep 09

I have a WD HD Media player connected to my TV Ref another posting and I have another external drive connected to it.I have just taken my Seagate drive downstairs and connected it to the media player and everything is still on there.I then brought the other drive upstairs and connected that to my computer and that worked so why does the Seagate drive only show up as drive H when I click on my computer but on device manager it shows up as Seagate external drive USB device and on safely remove hardware it also says drive H.How do I get it to show up as Seagate external drive when I click on my computer.

muffin1947 08:49 19 Sep 09

have a WD HD Media player connected to my TV Ref another posting and I have another external drive connected to it.I have just taken my Seagate drive downstairs and connected it to the media player and everything is still on there.I then brought the other drive upstairs and connected that to my computer and that worked so why does the Seagate drive only show up as drive H when I click on my computer but on device manager it shows up as Seagate external drive USB device and on safely remove hardware it also says drive H.How do I get it to show up as Seagate external drive when I click on my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017