External Hard Drive

Crazygeorge3 22:07 02 Feb 08

I have had my seagate external hard drive for a good couple of years and it fell off my desk the other day, it still detects but it has corrupted and cannot be used, is this a serious problem?

there are screws in the bottom which are hexagonal shape with a sort of socket, if i know what theses are called i may be able to take a look inside,

any help with this situation

peter99co 22:15 02 Feb 08

If it contains private info do not bin it unless you have put it beyond use completely. ie it it wiv a ammer.I suppose a Techie would be able to fit a new drive in for you. The screws are meant to keep you out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 02 Feb 08

but it has corrupted and cannot be used, is this a serious problem?

Yes you have probably lost everything on it.
try Testdisc click here
Drive Rescue click here
if you need to recover anything, if not try refomatting the drive.

AlanHo 07:17 03 Feb 08

It is very possible that the impact caused the hard drive to lose its connection with the plug in the casing. Hard drives are quite robust and can often survive a fall.

I would definitely get the case opened and the connections checked before doing anything that might lose data.

I am not sure where I obtained it - but I have a set of screwdrivers of various types which includes the type used in the bottom of my Seagate external drive. It may have been Maplins.

Crazygeorge3 09:30 03 Feb 08

I am not worried about loosing any data, but for some reason when i turn it on, theres a weird sound, like a marble dropping, then theres bleeping for 360 seconds and then the pc picks it up. But it never lets me format, and the light on the hard drive goes off when i try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple