External Hard Drive

wingfield 20:36 20 Mar 07

I've just bought an external HD - Icybox 250Gb. According to the instructions I should be able to just plug it in and away we go (XP Pro) Yes it's picked up via the USB but there's a message that says a high spoeed device has been plugged into a slow speed usb'. I don't have a high speed usb apparently on my system.
When I go to My Computer I can't see the new device to transfer any data to. Any suggestions please?'

Terry Brown 21:22 20 Mar 07

Your system must be using USB 1,and the device is capable of running under USB 2.

I suggest going to google and entering USB CARD in the search box.

A new USB card to fit in an IDE slot costs about £9.00.
Terry

phono 21:44 20 Mar 07

Do you have Service Pack 2 and the motherboard chipset drivers installed? If not you may well still have USB 2 capable ports and jut require the correct drivers installed.

Failing that a PCI USB card is inexpensive and should solve your problems, not sure if this still applies but at one time a card with an NEC chipset was always recommended as being the most reliable.

Pamy 21:45 20 Mar 07

If you are only transfereing data, just carry on. So, OK it will not transfer at it fastest buts what's a few seconds.

phono 21:51 20 Mar 07

Missed the bit about the drive not showing up in My Computer.

Have you gone into disk manager to check if the drive is active and formatted? If not set it as active and then format it by right clicking it and choosing format.

woodchip 21:52 20 Mar 07

Is this a Old computer that you loaded XP on to? If it is that's why it only as USB1

wingfield 22:04 20 Mar 07

I've connected it to another computer - HP laptop. It picked up the device but still couldn't see it on my computer. Right clicked and went into Manage then Disk Management where I could see it but it was not Initialised(?). I clicked initialise and something happened. It now tells me it's unallocated. If I right click here it gives me the option of a new partition. Do I have to create one? I only want to transfer stuff from my other pc's (photo's, videos etc) to free up space

woodchip 22:09 20 Mar 07

Create a Partion or more then Format

wingfield 22:52 20 Mar 07

Woodchip

I have just worked out the partition and format. I need to try it on my other pc's. There wsn't any advice in the instructions - not that I'm surprised!

I may have to go for a fast usb card if the transfer speeds are too slow.

phono 23:04 20 Mar 07

"I have just worked out the partition and format. I need to try it on my other pc's."

Does this mean the drive is now working okay for you?

Don't forget my previous post about SP2 and chipset drivers, USB 2 support was introduced to XP with SP2.

woodchip 11:06 21 Mar 07

You need to get a PCI USB2 card. Check you have a spare slot for it to go in, a white one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced