External Hard drive

podlod 18:17 03 Feb 07

Hi there, I have just bought an Ext HDD 250GG, but now I have placed it succesfully on my PC and it works ok after formatting and on NFTS, I now find that my PC keeps shutting down every 20 to 30 mins and then reeboots itself again, and so I lose everything if im working on my PC, please help its driving me crazy!! Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 03 Feb 07

Is it connected via USB? Do you have many other items connected via USB? Could be an overload.

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 03 Feb 07

Oh, and does it still shut down if the disk is turned off / disconnected?

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 03 Feb 07

Actually, ignore the first part if the drive has it's own external powersupply.

podlod 19:28 03 Feb 07

Hi diodorus, it is connected to usb, and when I finally pulled out the plug, it still does the same, shuts down and reeboots?

podlod 19:29 03 Feb 07

My PC now shuts down and reeboots even when it is not connected now,Im totally lost?

Diodorus Siculus 23:16 03 Feb 07

Turn on the PC when you first want to use it, without having the external drive connected. Does it still reboot?

podlod 07:56 04 Feb 07

Hi DS, the answer to your question is yes it reeboots ok when I turn on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:43 04 Feb 07

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit
Now you should be able to see the error message when windows crashes.
Post the message here for further help.

podlod 12:14 05 Feb 07

Thanks fruitbat i will try and see what happens, I also find that when I go into my documents and try to scroll up or down, for a few seconds nothing happens it freezes on me, then it starts working ok ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…