External Hard Drive

DANZIG 11:53 31 Dec 06

I'm planning on buying one of those 320gb external hard drives that PC World have been flogging.

I'm assuming I just plug it in to a USB port and bingo, I have extra storage space. Is it really that simple or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Technotiger 11:53 31 Dec 06

Yes, it is that simple - I bought the same from PC World.

DANZIG 11:56 31 Dec 06

Cool.

Would it be advisable then, when I have actually bought the thing, to transfer everything that is already on my chocker internal hard drive to it, to free up space. IE all my games, photos, songs etc etc?

Technotiger 12:01 31 Dec 06

No, not in my opinion anyway, doing so could present other problems, though you could completely re-install games for which you have the software onto the new drive, after uninstalling them from 'C'. Only put on stuff for which you have the originals, onto the new drive.

I would also advise you to use something like Acronis True Image to do a complete backup of your 'C' drive to your shiny new external drive -
that is the main reason I got mine.

DANZIG 12:05 31 Dec 06

Fair enough! Thanks.

PC World here I come.

Starfox 12:08 31 Dec 06

Agree with Technotiger, that is exactly what I have done with mine, made a complete backup that is.

Technotiger 12:11 31 Dec 06

PS ..... when installing stuff to your new drive, make sure that you direct the installation to your new drive - i.e. during installation change C:/ to whatever letter your new drive is... or Browse to your new drive for the game etc installations.

Happy New Year

DANZIG 12:13 31 Dec 06

And a happy new year to you as well.

Thanks for the help.

anskyber 12:17 31 Dec 06

Incidentally many of the external drives come formatted as FAT 32 to allow them to be used on older operating systems. FAT32 has small partitions and many with XP reformat to NTFS. For the reasons click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…