external hard drive

mrcrow 16:39 24 Apr 06

i am going to upgrade my pc to 2.0 usb using a controller so i can back up my data on an external hard drive
i have been pricing the off the shelf ones and seem to be a bit pricey for a 7200 model..around £80
i think i could put one together using a case and hard drive separates..
what does this entail by way of gear i need to buy...the case and hard drive seem obvious but i dont know much beyond this
ie..do i need to get a drivers cd and a power source..although i would prefer usb method of power and will only be needing 40 Gb as that is the size of my onboard drives.
2.5 or 3.5 seems to be another choice i have..
i really wanted to just buy a plug and play one but as i stated..the £££ were more than i thought and i dont need 100Gb etc.

johndrew 16:48 24 Apr 06

Have a look at Maplins click here I don`t think you could put one together for any less and you have a warranty.

Greengage 16:52 24 Apr 06

You can pick up a 80Gb hard drive (Maxtor 7200rpm) for about £30 and the enclosure for about £15/20. You will only need specific drivers if you are not on Windows XP - in any case drivers for Win 98 should come with the enclosure.

mrcrow 20:16 24 Apr 06

thanks both...if i buy an enclosure does it come ready for power input via usb etc...
i have been emailing some internet sites but they say they do not advise on tech matters
ps i can get a 80 seagate like the one in shown in maplins for £57.80 plus postage
i did want maxtor but see seagete have taken over or aquired maxtor...and your comment about warranty is well taken
any further info please..if possible

ajm 21:05 24 Apr 06

Staples had a offer for a 250GB for £69.99

woodchip 21:09 24 Apr 06

Caddy as a Mains adapter. You can only power a 2.5" laptop drive from USB

mrcrow 22:55 24 Apr 06

"Caddy as a Mains adapter. You can only power a 2.5" laptop drive from USB"

i thought there were 3.5" plug and play types available ...and using only usb for power...could be wrong here...
what is caddy...

johnnyrocker 23:30 24 Apr 06

is an external carrier/unit for hard drive.

woodchip 11:10 25 Apr 06

You need a Mains Adapter for 3.5 External Drive. One should be supplied with Caddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…