External Hard Drive

Sunil 09:55 28 Jul 05

I bought USB powered external HDD enclosure and 40 Gb Hitachi Travelstar to use as external Storage but when I connect it to my computer it powers and recognise by my computer but there is no Drive letter in MY Computer I checked in Device manager It recognised there too but like C or D OR E it should be F Drive but it doesnot show in my computer what am I doing wrong PLEASE HELP

Diemmess 11:08 28 Jul 05

If the enclosure and HD were bought separately, you probably need to format the HD before Windows can do much with it.

Im sure there are better ways, but I would hang it temporarily as an extra HD to your computer. Then partition and format it as you would any other HD.

Sunil 12:07 28 Jul 05

Thanks But I am novice Can you tell me how to do this thanks again

uisquebeathus 12:38 28 Jul 05

this can be done using xp ( Control Panel /Administraive tools / Computer management / Disc management /
in Disc management you should see the drive showing differant greyed out and unformatted whereas the drives current installed "C" or ("D" which could show as cdrom or dvd) already formatted will show as a letter and the type of format
right click on the drive greyed out then you should see FORMAT choose either Fat32 or ntfs.the message to format the drive also shows when windows is installed and the request to format happens.
Format can also be done with Partition Manager from Ontrack,Ranish Partition Manager or Partition Logic which is free from (click here)
take your time and dont rush it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…