external hard drive

rossol 12:44 29 Jun 05

have desk top and lap top both hard drives nearly full ,i was looking for a external hard drive with standard ide connection and usb connection about100 gbs that could be used for both computers. i was told to go to click here and get a external 3.5 hdd enclosure with usb then any cheap hard drive but there is a big varity of hard drives how do u pick one .any one got any advice

stlucia 12:51 29 Jun 05

Personally, I would be tempted to go for a ready-built external HDD, instead of buying separate case and drive unit. Maxtor, for instance, comes in several capacities, and is plug-and-play into your USB or Firewire socket (if you've got Win XP -- you may need to install drivers if your Windows is earlier). It also comes with some backup software and connecting cable.

rossol 13:04 29 Jun 05

Thanks for quick reply stulia was told encloser was the cheaper was to go but i take on board what u say will any hard drive do

LANDCRUISER 13:09 29 Jun 05

go to QVC.com & look at the ARCHOS Q DISC they sell many external hard drives i have one myself its the size of a paper back book, best thing i bought in years, hope this helps.

ventanas 13:54 29 Jun 05

Its much cheaper to buy a normal hard drive and a caddy. I have three of each. Very fast in use (Firewire). Also no need to install anything. Just plug it in.

jack 13:56 29 Jun 05

All harddrive follow the same format interms of connectivity, that is the data[IDE} abd power.
USB connection is useual but Firewire also.
Whether or not you buy a ready made or separate drive/enclosure to make up is up to you, there is not a lot in it these days as sellers compete.
How deep is you pocket?

So it simply depends of whether you like building things or simply want to get on and use a device.

One word of warning however. If your machine is NTFS thatis 2000 or XP you will not need any extra software.

Ready made drives and very often enclosures[Caddies] come with software - leave it in the box - like digital cameras -the supplied software can more a hinderance than benefit.
Simply let Windows do the work.

TomJerry 14:16 29 Jun 05

directusbstore click here

svp click here

woodchip 14:37 29 Jun 05

I got a Caddy from Computer Fair for about £24 and a Seagate 7200rpm 200Gb 8mb buffer drive both for less that £100 and never had a problem. Just setting it up that you may need some help with

stlucia 12:56 30 Jun 05

A Maxtor One-Touch 200Gb drive costs £111 at click here for instance. So, unless you like assembling things, I'd still go for a ready-made.

A 100Gb version is available for £81 at the same place -- I don't know how that compares with buying separates.

rossol 21:13 01 Jul 05

gone for a 250 gbs Seagate Barracuda ATA-100 7299rpm 8mb-pata £80.and a 3.5"external hdd encluser should get it in a few days

freaky 11:52 02 Jul 05

Maxtor One-Touch external Hard Drive, reasonably cheap and excellent build quality. Comes in a sturdy case with own power supply and on/off switch. Also has a light on the front that changes frequency depending on what it is doing, plus power's down when not in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…