external hard drive

joe95 19:12 26 Feb 05

I am still having trouble with this Seagate 160gb drive.
My PC is XPHome SP1. USB2.0
I want to use Acronis to back-up my system to the Seagate.I have had loads of help but don't seem to be getting anywhere.
I have formatted and partitioned the drive by putting into my PC disabling my local drive and using a Seagate Boot disc, early afternoon today, no problems, uninstalled the Seagate from PC re-fitted local drive pluggeg in Seagate to USB port in My Computer as drive(G).
Started Acronis image wizard went through okay started copying ran for 30mins stopped with error message, failed possible reason poor media and it vanished from My Computer, since then I haven't been able to get it back on my PC

howard60 22:28 26 Feb 05

I would check in control panel - system to see if the disk is shown if it is delete it. Then reboot with the disk plugged in. If it is not seen and recognised leave it plugged in and install SP2.

joe95 23:13 26 Feb 05

I had loads of problems when installed SP2 so went back SP1.

howard60 23:32 26 Feb 05

yes ok but it does also cure a lot of problems

joe95 23:36 26 Feb 05

I'm also on dial-up so any fixes usually take hours.

joe95 09:45 27 Feb 05

^^^^^^^^^^bump

Diemmess 12:19 27 Feb 05

.....and bumping your thread. You are trying to make an Adonis image of your C:(?) drive on a newly formatted external USB 160Gb HD.

What is the size of the drive you are trying to "image"? ...and ... Have you a second (internal) HD?

joe95 13:14 27 Feb 05

I have no second HD.
My local is (C)partition, basic, NTFS 66.41GB.
back-up (D)partition, basic, NTFS P.92GB and that's it.

freaky 17:04 27 Feb 05

>>>>>>>>>>>bump

Diemmess 17:52 27 Feb 05

- Told you in a previous post that I am clueless about XP amd particularly NTFS. So having formatted the new HD the hard way, [I am guessing] it may have the wrong (FAT32) file system. At least it has been formatted now, can you not use XP this time, to format it again as NTFS?...... Hoping (like you)that someone who knows will join this thread!

groundhog 18:33 27 Feb 05

If you cannot see you USB drive in the windows explorer then the likely reason will be that the previous format has been corrupted.

Try this unplug your usb drive and wait a minute then reconnect, open windows explorer and see if the computer recognises your usb drive.

If this works, then in windows explorer right click your usb drive and select format from the drop down menu, (Assuming you have an NTFS formatted C: drive) select the the NTFS format option.

If windows explorer can not see your usb drive then it's back to stage one, swap drives reformat using the Seagate Boot disc, swap drives and reboot, plug in usb drive and check in explorer that you can see it, Once there then use windows explorer to reformat to NTFS.

If you wanted to partition your usb drive into smaller segments then follow the next steps.

Open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management, then select disc management, you will find your usb drive listed.

NOTE. If you do alter the partition sizes you will have to reformat each partion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017