External Hard Disc Drive Not Recognised

tuzla 21:45 01 Jun 05

Please help. I have just bought a Gericom 250gb external 3.5' hard disk drive unit with 6 in 1 card reader, but my PC is failing to detect the drive. I can't install the drivers as I have Windows XP which is supposed to
recognise the drive automatically. Bizarrley the card reader is recognised. Also, when first installed the hard disk drive was
recognised, but no longer is. Please help

woodchip 21:51 01 Jun 05

Control Panel\Administrator\Disc Management

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:56 01 Jun 05

Uninstall and renstall all your USB ports.

Let windows recognise and install the drivers for the devices attatched to the prots.

gudgulf 21:57 01 Jun 05

I have one of these too.......I'm very pleased with it.Try the obvious things first.Is the blue led on the front of the drive lit?.If not then there is no power to the hard disc.Check that the psu unit is switched on at the plug socket and that the main drive rocker switch is set to "on"....It wont be detected if not powered up.The card reader slots have a seperate on/off switch but don't require the main drive to be switched on in order to work correctly.Similarly the usb ports can function with the main power off or on.

wee eddie 11:00 02 Jun 05

XP does not recognize a great many USB devices.

Set-up instructions on my Maxtor were most specific.

Install the Drivers....Before you plug the Drive in.

It may be worth reading thew manual again.

Bramblerose 13:17 02 Jun 05

I had the same problem - the pc recognised the hard drive and the usb ports and eventually I got the card reader to work but then pc just wouldn't recognise the hard drive, although it still recognised both usb and card reader - bizarre! In the end I took it back to Aldi and got a refund.

Sorry, no help really

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…