'external' grahics for an old laptop

markneedshelp 13:35 01 May 14

I have been given an old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop that has problems with it's screen. A series of pixels but in regular pattern all over the screen. Originally I thought it was screen burn but changes to the screen properties changes the position of the pattern. Plugged it into the TV via the VGA connector - TV has the same pixels. Same via the S-Video. So I thinking it's something to do with the on-board video controller. Updated to the latest drivers but still the same. Otherwise the laptop is fine.

But I only intend to use it as a PC for the TV. I know, for a desktop, I could (cheaply) buy a plug and play graphics card which would bypass the 'faulty' generic one on the motherboard. Is there anything similar for a laptop?

The laptop does have a 'PC Card' slot - I assume the equivalent of a PCI slot on a desktop - plus obviously USB ports.

I'm sure there is a way just I know little/nothing about laptops. This one is my 1st.... but then it was free! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've had a quick look online but don't really know the correct terminology for what I'm looking for. Fixing the problem on the laptop screen would obviously help but doesn't really matter as long as the output to the TV is fine which is all I want.

Regards, Mark

Bris 19:52 01 May 14

Some ideas here.

I have no experience of these devices so no idea how well they perform.

mole1944 05:25 04 May 14

I know it sounds silly but have you tried a fresh install i.e. wipe the hard drive then reinstall windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5