External floppy drive as good as internal ?

dylan 12:01 08 Jun 03

Can an external floppy drive be used as a replacement for an internal floppy, would I be able to boot from a windows start up disc? my internal drive is no longer working I am considering getting an external drive, windows recognises my internal but the BIOS does not I'm told its the motherboard thats at fault.

jazzypop 13:00 08 Jun 03

An external floppy usually connects via USB. In order to boot from a USB device, you will need to have a fairly modern motherboard that is capable of booting from a USB device. In other words, it needs to have USB drivers contained within its BIOS.

I am puzzled by your description of your problem.

What version of Windows are you using?

If Windows recognises your floppy, but the BIOS does not (?), do you mean that you can read floppy disks once Windows has loaded, but not boot from the floppy drive?

Who has told you that the motherboard is at fault, and what explanation did they give?

More info, please :)

dylan 14:46 08 Jun 03

The floppy appears in my computer and when clicked on it makes the usual noises, the green light comes on at startup and goes of as usual, when a disk is inserted a message please insert disc into drive appears, when I look in BIOS the 4.5 floppy is selected but the text is a different coulor to the rest of the selected items. I have checked all conections on the board. Using win me on a HP Pavilion 7815.

dogtrack 10:54 09 Jun 03

would imagine you would have to set the external drive in the BIOS before you could use it to boot from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…