External Floppy Drive & Windows 7 64-Bit

Eoghan 01:53 02 Jul 12

Will all external floppy drives work with 64-Bit Windows 7? I need to reinstall some files backed up on floppy discs and my new computer has no floppy drive.I went on ebay to buy a USB external Floppy Drive for my new 64-bit Win 7 Desktop. One drive offered on ebay cautioned that it will not work on 64-Bit Windows 7. Although no such drawback was mentioned in connection with the floppy drives on offer from other sellers,I was too uncertain to go ahead with any purchase and now don't know what I should do. My computer does not have 32-bit Windows, only 54-bit. Can anyone help me with this problem?

ICF 07:37 02 Jul 12

Might be a daft question but why do you need a floppy drive?

ICF 07:51 02 Jul 12

Soz just read you post again now I know why you need one LOL

This one says it works with W7 64Bit USB Floppy drive

Terry Brown 09:04 02 Jul 12

Inn theory a USB drive whether it is a Floppy drive,camera,or harddrive should all be treated the same; as external data, however as a floppy drive is a 16 bit system you may be able to read from it- but not write to it.

Terry

Eoghan 18:26 11 Jul 12

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away from home and from my computer, and thanks for the two answers to my query. Thank you, ICF, for indicating an eBay advert that seems to offer a floppy drive that will work with Win 7 64-bit. I have now ordered the advertised drive and after I receive it I will comment on my experiences with it. It is great to have this forum for consultation with other - and more experienced - computer users!

Eoghan

Eoghan 23:56 03 Aug 12

I have at last managed to get around to giving my promised progress report on the external floppy drive I purchased as a result of a reference made by ICF to an advert on eBay. The drive arrived promptly and I started using it immediately. It is a nicely made article and over the past few weeks I have spent almost every spare moment transferring all my old, and until now, unaccessable backed up files from floppy to hard drive, CDs and DVDs. It worked perfectly and it did everything that I needed it to do for me. Then, by way of experiment only, I tried to write to a new floppy. I then discovered that Terry Brown was 100% correct when he mentioned that it might not be capable of writing to floppies - it wasn't! I wasn't at all perturbed by this as it had done all that I required it to do at the time of purchase and I have no intention of ever again writing to a floppy disc. At relatively low cost I have managed to retrieve much data that I feared might be lost to me forever, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone requiring a floppy drive merely to recover data from floppy discs. It was a good purchase and I am very happy to have made this purchase. Thank you, Terry and ICF, and thanks too to the PCA Help Forum.

Eoghan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now