External floppy?

tom0123 21:02 18 Sep 03

I am trying to fix an old Toshiba laptop. It has a Pentium 1, Win 98 and is infected with a virus.
The hard drive properties shows full and also displays the drive as having no capacity ie:0 bytes. I want to format the hard drive and start over.However, this machine has no floppy drive and I am afraid to format because the only drive available is the CD ROM drive and if I format C: I assume that the drivers will vanish and leave me with no way of inputing anything.

Due to its age there is no USB port,only the usual serial and parallel ports.
Is there any way I can get around this problem?I would rather not format, but due to the nature of the problem drive C:will not accept any diagnostic programs because it is full.Could I delete the Windows folder and leave the barest of devices so that I could work on reinstalling Windows? Alternatively could I use a floppy drive off something else via one of the available ports? I have a removable floppy drive from another laptop with an interface cable that has a parallel plug on one end. Could this be used?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Wayne

dave h 21:53 18 Sep 03

What is it 'full' of?

If you can access the drive via Windows Explorer, I would think that there must be some files ( Photo's, Old Word files etc) you can delete to free up some space??

y_not 05:39 19 Sep 03

I assume that the virus has filled the HDD.

Why not copy a win98 boot disk to CD and, during boot-up, Toshiba's give the option to boot from floppy, CD, HDD etc. Select the CD option and format the drive.

Install the O/S (using the same method if necessary) and that should sort it out.

To get to the boot options you have to press one of the function keys (think its F12 - but not sure) or the Del key. Sorry that bit will be trial and error unless someone else knows which key

-pops- 06:47 19 Sep 03

Be careful that the cost of doing this rescue doesn't exceed the value of the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…