External Firewire hard disk.

Bob Bob™ 16:26 30 Dec 08

Hello and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Im an audio engineer to be and I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and its running off my iLink Firewire port that came with my Toshiba P300-150 laptop.

My laptop has two hard drives, both 250Gb.
I was told since they both run at 5400 rpm that I would run into a read write error from Cubase saying that there are too many tracks being recorded and the hard disk can’t keep up. I was advised on getting either an upgrade of my internal hard drive to a faster model or get an external drive.

Well, guess what happened?
First recording with it and I got cracks and pops, the track I was playing in Cubase to record along to stopped playing every once and a while until finally I armed an extra track and Cubase gave me this error that my hard drive wasn’t up to the job.

So, I have decided to go for the external drive option.

EDIT:
See end of post for a more concise question. I ranted a bit here lol

Here are my questions:

I’m going to go and get an express card for my laptop (my terminology could be wrong, I can never remember the name of the slot in the laptop.) and plug the external drive into that.

A user of another forum pointed out that Toshibas generally ship with Texas Instruments firewire ports and that seems to be true as there are no connection problems between the Saffire and my Toshiba laptop so I may as well leave that with that slot and get the external hard drive going through the express card slot.

SO, now here are my questions (I mean it this time :P)

Do I get a firewire 400 or 800 express card? I’m thinking of an 800 and I can get an 800 to 800 cable (if not provided with the drive) and an 800 to 400 since I believe they are compatible that way.

What external drive should I get? I would like one that doesn’t need to be externally powered, bus powered would be great and I would also like a fairly large bit of storage. Also having a USB port as well would be good for college work since most of the comps there have USB.

An interesting point made in the Saffire manual.
If you have an express card or PCI card with multiple ports and you have the Saffire in one and an external drive in another for the audio being recorded you may run into problems since the bus is under more stress trying to stream the audio to the drive and record it from the Saffire.

So, with my onboard iLink for the Saffire and an express card for the external I shouldn’t run into any bus speed problems that Focusrite warn about?

There is a lot to read there but I guess what I want is:

1) Firewire express(PCI something or other) card for my laptop. Firewire 800 is preferable.

2) A bus powered external hard drive with a lot of storage with at least 7200 rpm and USB, Firewire 400 and/or 800 ports. ESata would be fun too but not needed really.

If I have a Firewire 800 drive I need the 800 to 400 converter cable to use with Firewire 400 computers. An assurance that using a Firewire 800 drive with the converter cable for use with a 400 computer is possible would be great.

click here
click here

These seem to be good although they need external power?

Many many many thanks
Rob

Bob Bob™ 16:39 30 Dec 08

LaCie d2 1TB Big Disk Extreme
click here|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

External 320GB 2.5 Firewire 800 7200 Disk Drive

External 320GB 2.5 7200 Firewire Hard Disk Drive

1TB LaCie d2 Quadra External Hard Disk eSATA FireWire

In terms of the card I need I have no idea what to look for really. I checked the Toshiba site. I have 1 x ExpressCard slot

Bob Bob™ 00:10 03 Jan 09

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…