external dvdrw

pc49 09:05 18 Mar 05

Hi I'm thinking of buying a dvd-rw to transfer digital camcorder film of my grandkids/holiday etc. Im currently looking at freecom classic and LG super multi. Does a double layer dvd-rw write to single layer discs? and would I require a burning suite such as nero? and how much would it cost? or would the authoring suite if supplied with the dvd-rw suffice?
pc49

Satmansq 10:00 18 Mar 05

Yes Dual Layer DVD RWs do write to single layer discs, and if you look at the specifications for the product it will normally tell you the speeds that it writes to the various formats that it is possible to use. If you buy the retail package it would normally have some compatible software to do what you wish, although it may not be as comprehensive purchased software, personally I use Nero 6. It is wise to check at the place of purchase what software will be provided, as it may differ between suppliers, OEM versions are normally sold without software. Here are a couple of places for prices on Nero, click here click here

GroupFC 10:54 18 Mar 05

I recently bought this click here

I haven't made any DVD's yet, but I have used it to make data backups. After some initial teething problems, all now seems to be working as it should and I am pleased with my purchase.

This unit comes with some basic software, "Roxio Easy Media Creator Basic DVD Home", which seems to do all that I need (although you do need to make sure you read the help files to find your way around it!). I have made some reasonable slideshows (although that's only my opinion as they have'nt made general release yet!) and the next project is to make some movies!

Good luck!

pc49 15:26 18 Mar 05

thanks to Satmansq and GroupFC for your advice. How much recording can you do on the single layer DVD rw. the mini digital cassettes hold about an hours filming.
pc49

GroupFC 16:02 18 Mar 05

As far as I know (not having done it myself!), it will depend on the quality setting you chose for the final DVD.

Raw video footage will be in .avi file format and .avi files are huge! (for example I have some raw footage on here of a rugby match and I have just checked and it is just over 8 minutes and just over 1.8GB!). So you do need plenty of space!

When you create DVDs the files are re-encoded by the software and so the files will be a more manageable size. Another point to bear in mind is that video work and DVD authoring is resource hungry so make sure your machine will be up to it!

pc49 16:09 18 Mar 05

thanks for that Group FC, It looks as though I've got to try dual layer, although I haven't seen any for dvd r- and my dvd player attached to the telly is dvdr-
regards pc49

Satmansq 16:42 18 Mar 05

My wife transferred our home videos to DVD and due to the quality we did not attempt to compress the video and copied about 2 hours to each DVD at 100%. But if the video is top quality then Nero 6 has compressed over 7GB onto a single layer DVD

GroupFC 17:37 18 Mar 05

Be warned dual layer is relatively new and if it goes pear-shaped you will have some very expensive coasters!

Good Luck!

pc49 18:50 18 Mar 05

thanks Satmansq and GroupFC for the info I not the comment about the coasters, as I have a few CD mishaps.
regards
pc49

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced