EXTERNAL DVD/CD RE-WRITER DRIVE ISSUE

rotormota 07:31 03 Oct 06

I have just bought a new MCXP PC & installed an existing external LG multi-format DVD/CD drive. The installation was successful in that Windows correctly identified the hardware, installed drivers & displays the LG in 'My Computer'.

The LG works with all formats including RAM discs. When I inserted a RAM disc that I had generated when the LG was connected to my old PC the data is readable but I cannot copy anything to the disc or indeed change any text. Windows is showing me messages telling me I can't do this too.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
J

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:35 03 Oct 06

Could it be a drive letter issue.

VoG II 11:13 03 Oct 06

What are the messages?

rotormota 21:52 04 Oct 06

When placing a DVD RAM disc with an existing text file already on it (created with the LG when connected to my old PC) in to the drive these are the messages:

When changing the file content & trying to 'Save':
'Cannot create the R:PW.txt file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.'

When trying to 'Save as':
PW1. You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead?'

When trying a drag & drop on to the disc:
'Cannot copy 076: Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive.'

I also get these messages with blank RAM disks, CD-Rs & DVD-Rs.

Any further thoughts chaps?

Best regards,
J

Totally-braindead 21:56 04 Oct 06

Only thoughts I have are either you are trying to save a file with the same name and it doesn't like it as there is already a file with that name on it. Or you have closed the disk not allowing you to add more info on it ie made it read only.
When I am burning I usually use Nero and just tick the multisession box and that allows me to keep adding till the disk is full, or I decide to close it.

rotormota 22:02 04 Oct 06

Thanks TB but I tried changing the file name hence the 'Save As' message & also blank discs are apparently equally unuseable.

rotormota 19:05 05 Oct 06

Any more thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced