external DVD rewriter compatibility

givern321 17:43 23 Sep 06

Hello all

Sorry, probably a very basic question to you. I should appreciate replies explained in very simple terms please.

I need to back up all my letters etc that are held on my laptop. I have been told that the best way is onto CDs. I don't have a CD writer on my laptop, so have bought an external DVD/CD re-writer. I have XP. The chap in the shop told me that it would be fine for any laptop with XP, but when I looked at the tiny print inside just before installing I noticed that it says that the system requirements are Pentium III 800Mhz, IBM PC or compatible, though Pentium 4 2.8 GH or higher with IBM PC or compatible is recommended. Mine has Intel Celeron. Does that mean that it is unsuitable for my computer and cannot be used or does it mean that it will eg just work a bit slower, or will it harm my (lifeline!!!) computer?

Thanks in anticipation.

givern321

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 23 Sep 06

There are lots of celerons click here

All will work OK with your external DVD writer.

XP will not write directly to DVD disks only CD, to copy to DVD disks you need third party software such as Nero.

To get a better chance of burning your data write the disks at a slower speed than maximum for your drive. eg select 4x instaed of 10x.

givern321 18:12 23 Sep 06

Thank you very much fruitbat. That is most helpful.

Regards

givern321

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…