External DVD recorder ...USB2?

Daibus 19:31 15 Feb 05

If I buy and install an external DVD recorder is it absolutely necessary to also install USB2 or would the recorder function reasonably well?

Cheers.

howard60 21:12 15 Feb 05

if it is a usb2 device it a. might not work and b. could be sooooo slow as to be unworkable.

TomJerry 22:09 15 Feb 05

if it is a desktop: PCI usb 2 card is the one you need, very very easy to install and costs £8.03 click here

if it is laptop, you need PCMCIA adaptor card, just insert into slot, costs £20 (but you can get it cheaper) click here

joethebow 23:44 15 Feb 05

I have a 40Gb HDD on a USB 2 port. Recently I backed it up to my internal HDD, It took 9 hours! So I wouldn't recommend using USB drives for anything other than backups. I only have it because it was a spare drive with no other home.

Daibus 09:28 16 Feb 05

Thanks guys for the information.

If I buy and fit an internal DVD recorder I presume it would be quicker than the external type but also, would you think that an external Hard Drive is better for complete back up than a DVD recorder anyway?

TomJerry 10:29 16 Feb 05

joethebow, something not right here, maybe you external HDD works on usb1 mode even it is a usb2 device, I do 120GB HDD cloning to external usb2 HDD only takes around one hour

Internal DVD writer is quick and much cheaper and you can get very high quality and fast one around £45.

Back up to external HDD is very very fast (if you fit a usb2 card) and it takes a lot more than a DVD disc. But if it goes belly-up, a large number of data gone. If you use DVD you can do double or even triple backup as DVDs only cost around 30p (quality ones) even you buy bulk. Even if one gone, only 4.7GB affected.

Daibus 09:35 17 Feb 05

TomJerry

Thanks very much for your help and I will consider the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…