External DVD not Recognized

woodchip 17:49 03 Jan 10

Just bought it for a Samsung NC10 Netbook but XP does not recognize the drive Its a Multi DL Ram RW drive. it should not need drivers for XP but the netbook is not picking it up. Any Ideas

Netbook as XP home 1 gig Ram

PS forgot to add it is powered from two USB sockets one for power other for Data

Drive is a CnmLifestyle

skidzy 17:49 03 Jan 10

Hi Woody,is it recognised in Disc Management ? it may need a drive letter assigned if listed.

jamesd1981 17:57 03 Jan 10

im guessing woodchip it meets any system requirements have you tried connecting it up and reboot and go into bios to see if its detected in there.

woodchip 17:58 03 Jan 10

No could not see it. I did get a message that it was not recognized. And only 98 Sata Bridge Drivers are supplied

woodchip 17:59 03 Jan 10

No not checked BIOS, will do that next, as its supposed to be able to boot from USB drives

woodchip 18:11 03 Jan 10

No Joy with BIOS or anything els could it be USB data cable I wonder Or may be if I connected a 5Volt USB Brick rather than from USB for power

jamesd1981 18:14 03 Jan 10

is the laptop capable of booting from removable drives woodchip not all machines have that capability how old is the laptop, does it give you a removable drive option in boot order in bios ?

woodchip 18:16 03 Jan 10

Brand New Samsung Netbook will boot form just about anything there is to boot from. A long list in BIOS

woodchip 18:18 03 Jan 10

It did not show a name for the drive, in BIOS but when I plug a HP 1gig stick in I can make it boot from that just by moving it in to the boot list

woodchip 18:25 03 Jan 10

Fitted a Cable of my External USB Hard Drive and the Netbook picked the drive up strait away so will need to go for a cable next time the come to Done Vally Stadium. Thought it was the drive but no it was Data Cable

woodchip 19:01 03 Jan 10

Tried the cable on the old External IDE Drive but only got it to connect after wiggling USB wire near plugs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…