External Drives

rawprawn 17:14 05 May 11
Answered

I Have a Western Digital 250gb My Book powered external drive, I have just bought a Buffalo Ministation 1TB which is USB Powered. Is it OK to run both of these drives together continually? ((ie, always connected)

gengiscant 17:21 05 May 11

I have a networked drive which I have not switched off since the day I got it. As I have mine set up to back up various folders automatically,it saves me having to remember to switch it on each time I boot.

rawprawn 17:31 05 May 11

Hi gengiscant you say you have "a" networked drive, and I also have never switched off my WD My Book for the same reason, but I was just wondering if it is OK to run the two together continually. I have never had a USB powered Drive before of that size and need clarification that it is no problem.

SB23 18:55 05 May 11

Whether right or wrong, I've connected both of mine at the same time with no problems. I've got a Seagate 500gb powered, and a small 120gb usb powered, and until I read your post I had never thought about it. I was transfering files the other day and even remember thinking about the speed at which they were moving from one to the other.

rawprawn 19:07 05 May 11
Answer

Thanks for that SB23, I don't see that it should make a difference but thought I would ask the question.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…