External drives

harfy 06:41 08 Jun 06

If 'unmovable' is written to an external drive by a program, how do you remove such from the drive as Defrag does not affect, yet it must be possible for such data to be copied from Master drive in PC?

wee eddie 07:45 08 Jun 06

I assume that this is the scenario you are describing. Put me right if I have got it wrong.

While Defragging your HDD the schematics show sectors that are "Unmovable".

Your question is!

"How can these sectors be copied to another drive if they are unmovable?"

I do not know for certain, but have always assumed that the Schematic is just that and bares little relation to the actual HDD. In this case the word "Unmovable" means that on that HDD the information is limited to a single sector.

However when I think of it that analysis is full of holes. Maybe someone really knows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 08 Jun 06

Certain files have to be in the Boot Sector of the hard drive and are therefore "unmovable" during defragging.

This does not mean that they cannot be copied however the copying software must put the files into the correct sector on the new disk or the PC will not boot from the new disk.

As you will not be booting from the external drive this will not be a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…