external drive versus memory stick

Newuser2533 12:10 24 Mar 11

With the onset of larger memory sticks (256Gb) how do they compare with external hard drives?
Are thet a tried and tested option or should I stick with the external hard drive for back up.
Memory sticks are very convenient and will have more capacity in the future I'm sure.
I have'nt seen a review/comparison article in PC Advisor as yet but it would help me a lot.
Any advice would be grateful.
Thank you.
Ron Adams

Taff™ 12:43 24 Mar 11

I wasn`t aware of a 256Gb memory stick, do you mean a solid state drive? As far as memory sticks go I`ve had two fail on me recently. A 4 Gb and a 16 Gb one. I only trust a tried and tested external HDD for permanent backups - memory sticks are just useful for transferring small amounts of data between machines or carrying personal data around. All of which is backed up elsewhere anyway.

User-312386 12:44 24 Mar 11

External hard drive backing up is still the way to go! Memory sticks are still prone to failure.

Pineman100 13:29 24 Mar 11

I've no experience of solid-state drives, but as they're being ever more widely used in computers, in place of hard drives, I guess their reliability is not an issue.

But the cost-per-gig is still a great deal more than a hard drive - perhaps ten times as much (that's just a vague figure). I'm not sure that they're worth such a premium.

Batch 17:16 24 Mar 11

Hard Disks:

+ Low cost per GB
+ Generally quite reliable
(= good for long term back-ups)
- Not that resilient if you drop them

Memory Sticks:

- Relatively high cost per GB
- Can be temperamental
(= questionable as to whether good for long term back-ups)
+ Quite resilient to knocks and being dropped etc.

dororof 20:50 24 Mar 11

I think that given the low cost of portable/desktop HD's and their higher storage capacity and overall reliability,though still subject to failure,their cost benefit ratio alone puts them ahead of memory sticks.
Not sure of SSD's though they do seem to have greater benefits in terms of speed.
As an analogy,highly tuned engine's have a lesser lifespan than softer one's,would that be true of SSD v HD.???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced