External drive freezes Comp

woodchip 23:13 07 Aug 06

This happens when I turn the drive on. It is OK if I boot with it switched on So it as to be a I/O problem In BIOS or WINDOWS. Any body got any ideas what's up

Jak_1 01:12 08 Aug 06

I would think it more of a windows problem, I've had no such problem with my Maxtor ext drive. Only thing I can think of is to delete all references to the drive in windows including the registry.
Also memory usage could be a reason if memory intensive programs are active at the time especially if the main hdd has little space thus reducing the swapfile allocation.

woodchip 09:02 08 Aug 06

This is a Win98se Comp that I have had to fit a new Motherboard in. I think it's the Mobo as I did not have the Problems with the other.

woodchip 09:05 08 Aug 06

Along with the last post, Windows loads the Icon for the drive in the System Tray but it locks the C:\ drive when it's trying to read the External drive

terryf 09:06 08 Aug 06

Is the ext hd USB? What does device manager indicatw? Are there any yellow marks against any device?

wee eddie 09:23 08 Aug 06

Does everything return to normal or does the "C Drive" remain locked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…