External Drive Enclosure for DVD Writer

-pops- 13:57 24 May 03

I've run out of drive bays on my current machine and want to install a DVD writer.

I am used to using firewire and USB1 & 2 external enclosures with IDE hard drives so, I am thinking now of putting my new DVD writer into a similar setup.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, whether you have experience of a setup like this or can see any pitfalls?

The things in the bays at the moment are CDRW, CD ROM, DVD ROM, hard drive in removable caddy. I would like to keep all of these but consider only the hard drive/caddy as immovable. Do you think I would be better putting the DVD writer in a bay in place of one of the other devices and then put that in the external box?

(N.B. In case someone thinks the number of IDE devices a bit odd, I do have a Promise card giving me 4 extra IDE connections).

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian

-pops- 14:00 24 May 03

Another point - any advantage firewire vs USB2? I have both available.

Brian

jeez 14:05 24 May 03

yes, I'd get rid of the cdrom as all the drives you mention can read cd's. If your loathed to do this however. I'm not sure if a caddy can be bought that will house the dvd writer, but I use a freecom external cdrw as a caddy (take the cdrw out and you can plug any ide device into the guts for a usb connection) this is drastic though and I love to take things apart! LOL

-pops- 14:11 24 May 03

Yes, enclosures can be obtained, I will post details if you wish.

I see your point about replacing the CD ROM - this is a throwback with me to when these drives were expensive and I only liked using a drive for what it was originally intended for - and not putting wear where it wasn't necessary (if you see what I mean!).

Thanks for your input.

Brian

-pops- 16:24 24 May 03

Moving to top.

Any more comments?

-pops- 05:51 25 May 03

Oh well, never mind.

I'll give it a go anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced