external drive caddy

Dazza40 22:42 04 Apr 06

my pc recently gave up the ghost after some good service. i've retained 2 hard drives from the pc and have back ups on DVDRWs. in the short term am using a laptop until I buy new desktop.
Can I use old drives as back up storage device for the lap top and for storing music photos etc.

if so can you recommend a reasonably cheap one?

thanks

phono 23:25 04 Apr 06

Try click here for reasonably priced enclosures.

johnnyrocker 23:28 04 Apr 06

click here is also very reasonable.

johnny.

vinnyT 11:59 05 Apr 06
  Terry Brown 20:24 05 Apr 06

I recently bought a caddy, so I could use my old harddrive as a back up device. It works a treat, the only thing is they tend to run hot (at least mine does). When the system is running they become as part of the system (i.e. You cannot use the 'Safely remove external drive' system) and you must remember to turn them off manualy after the system has been closed down.

Totally-braindead 20:27 05 Apr 06

Heres got some reasonable ones click here and I have this one click here

Dazza40 22:47 05 Apr 06

excellent responses, thanks all.
a basic question now which I think i should know.

Can you confirm that i need a 3.5 inch enclosure for my hard drive. the 5.5 versions are for dvd writers right or wrong??

woodchip 22:48 05 Apr 06

Yes 3.5. Also the Drive jumper as to be set as Master for it to work.

Dazza40 22:52 05 Apr 06

thanks again. I'll mark as resolved. I like the look of the novatch one, especially as I've used them before.

phono 22:58 05 Apr 06

Have a look here click here this looks like a good bit of kit click here if you have a spare 5.25 inch slot in your case.

Totally-braindead 10:07 06 Apr 06

The Novatech one is nice, I was hoping that it could get enough power to use it without the adaptor as some computers can but in my case sadly not, it did need the external power supply. The instructions are a bit iffy by the way but once you put the drive in its a cracking solid feeling unit and I am very happy with it. As has been said just make sure you set the jumpers on the hard drive as master and plug it in. Oh and make sure you have USB 2.0, it will work on USB 1.1 but its slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac