//some 3rd party need geo

External Drive - 40Gb disk works but not 250Gb

sleepyjoe 16:45 09 Oct 05

I've previously added two home made external disks, a 120Gb IBM and a 300Gb Maxtor, to my Medion PC (Pentium 3Ghz, 18 months old) without any problem. I'm trying to add a 250Gb Hitachi Deskstar but nothing happens - even the fact that a USB device has been plugged in is not recognised. As soon as I replace the disk with a 40Gb Maxtor, it all works fine, so the case and connections don't appear to be a problem. I've replaced the Deskstar, thinking it was faulty, but exactly the same happens with the new disk and Add New Hardware doesn't find anything. I'm on XP Home. Has anybody got any suggestions, please?

bremner 16:55 09 Oct 05

I have experienced similar problems in the past and found that the drive had to be jumpered 'master' for the USB to see it.

sleepyjoe 16:59 09 Oct 05

Sorry, should have mentioned that the Deskstar is set to Master - jumpers A-B and G-H and drive is supplied set to Master anyway (unless the info on the Hitachi support site is rubbish).

woodchip 17:03 09 Oct 05

You may need to setup the Drive from DOS with Acronis disc management software first

sleepyjoe 17:25 09 Oct 05

Looked at the Acronis site and it seems to assume you can see the disk in the first place which I can't (not from XP or DOS). I didn't have any problem with the 300Gb or 40GB Maxtors, both of which I formatted from within XP - the 120Gb IBM (a Deskstar which Hitachi now manufacture) was already formatted.

Rayuk 18:18 09 Oct 05

Does it show up in Disk Management?

sleepyjoe 18:41 09 Oct 05

No, it doesn't show in Disk management. The usual sound when a USB device is inserted or removed doesn't occur so I assume it isn't registering at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…