external drive

chippy+ 15:05 29 Mar 07

hi
i have 2 western digital external hard drives for both my pc's i use them for backups i stop them with the remove safely icon in taskbar when i do this it says it is ok to remove drive, but the drive is still running is it safe to turn the drive off with the front button thanks Chippy

Technotiger 15:15 29 Mar 07

Hi, I have two external USB hard-drives - I never use the 'safely remove hardware'. I only turn off the drives at night when I turn off my pc, and I do so simply by pressing their on/off buttons after the pc has shut down.

Technotiger 15:17 29 Mar 07

PS - when I restart my pc the following morning, I start the drives with their on/off buttons before booting the pc - this way, the pc recognises the drives immediately.

Snec 15:41 29 Mar 07

Your hard drives will still be running, chippy+, because they are still powered up. The remove drive icon merely stops them from writing or being written to so, yes, it will be safe to turn them off with the front button after using the remove drive facility.

chippy+ 17:00 29 Mar 07

hi thanks to all the reason i asked the question
was sometimes when i press the icon it tells me it is not safe to remove the drive and to try again Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…