External drive

Hayrick 17:03 13 Mar 06

Windows XP with SP2 and all updates.
Why after instantly finding new hard ware and installing, ready to use and finding the disc in my computer perfectly with access to all the files on the drive After shut down and restart the drive is only recognised occasionally. Is this anything to do with the arrangement of drive letters.
A Floppy
C boot drive
D data disc
E DVD
F CD R/W
And occasionally G removable drive
Or is there another reason. Help please
40GB in mains powered caddy

User-312386 17:07 13 Mar 06

Is the external drive USB by an chance?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 13 Mar 06

No its to do with your USB ports and the way windows talks to them.

Enumeration means windows can take along time to find your drive in a USB port. So leave it plugged into a port pementantly or always plu it into the same port.

Power saving also can have an effect, switch of USB power saving in device manager double click the root hub and in the menu deselect "allow the computer to turn off this device"

Hayrick 17:24 13 Mar 06

Power saving is turned off. I always use the same port I must be able to remove it to use on my laptop also XP updated. It is usually recognised on the Compaq lap top

Hayrick 17:17 15 Mar 06

on one occasion the drive was recognised and having read in post about drive letters I used disc management to arrange them in a more logical way ie C,D and E are now hard drives E being the External. The two optical drives are now F and G. This seems to have largely solved the problem.
Thanks for your replies Fruitbat and Madboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now