External drive

NotsoNewuser 21:11 21 Nov 03

Following a recent long re-install I have been looking at adding an external H/D on which I can mirror my system and files etc. but a question has been raised as to wether this is now any good as anti-piracy elements in the software mean you cannot restore one's system from the mirror.
Is this being experienced by anyone?
Can one only back up and re-install data files when using current O/S and applications?
I'm still using 98SE at the moment but who knows what the future will bring.
Welcome you views before I splash out.

Quiller. 21:38 21 Nov 03

I know of no laws that stop you from copying the O\S and contents of your hard drive to a back-up disk.Would this make products like drive image illegal? Also what of raid boards that mirror the entire contents of one drive as security.

What does concern me is that you want to mirror it to an external hard drive, usb?

If your present system fails and you want to reinstall are you thinking of installing it from the external drive? This may have problems. It has been discussed in the past of booting from an external usb drive and I don't think that a solution has come up. Usually you have to have windows to load the usb drivers before the peripheral can work.

I would of thought that an internal IDE hard drive would be better suited. You could mirror your drive and store it safely away.

If you were thinking of something other than a USB external drive or think this is a load of tosh.

Then disregard. :)

powerless 21:42 21 Nov 03

Modern BIOS's can accept a USB Boot.

Quiller. 22:18 21 Nov 03

Didn't know that powerless :)

NotsoNewuser.

If you do wish to use an external usb hard drive, still don't know. Then check in your bios to see if it can boot from usb.

NotsoNewuser 22:32 21 Nov 03

My thoughts were to be able to restore a "confused" H/D to what it was before it got confused, but equally if one put the O/S on to a reformatted drive, with minimum drives and the backup software one could get back to the original from the external without the palavar I've just had. Would that not be so?
Also it is not a question of illegality but will the software actually work from a re-install. I don't know but I hoped there would be someone who did.

Morpheus? 22:43 21 Nov 03

i got a seagate drive and using their software backed up my drive, all with a couple of mouse clicks,tried it out, it worked ace, then unplugged it and left it in the PC, in case the whole lot goes down the kermit.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…