external disk drives

passant 15:47 15 Sep 07

I attached an external hard disk to my computer. The device was recognised, and the disk manager reported it to be healthy and ready for use. When I checked the properties of the disk I saw the following: free space 0 bytes. Used space 0 bytes. File system: raw.
I doubled clicked the drive, and was told that disk needed formatting. When I tried, up came message: This drive cannot be formatted. Manufacturers say disk was formatted at factory and that my computer isn't reading the file system. I think the device is faulty. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 15 Sep 07

TRy plugging into a different USB port, direct off the motherboard, use a rear port and donot connect via a hub.

See if the drive can be read.

passant 16:05 15 Sep 07

Thanks for prompt response Fruit Bat. I have already tried what you advised without success. I have also tried attaching several times, and starting the computer with device attached. Unfortunately the limit upon length of messages does not permit me to list everthing I have tried.

wee eddie 16:14 15 Sep 07

I have an idea but don't wish too appear more foolish than normal.

passant 16:23 15 Sep 07

wee eddie

The HD is a Seagate Free Agent USB 2.0 250GB I have Windows XP pro on 2.00GHz computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 15 Sep 07

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.

passant 16:59 15 Sep 07

I will try that Fruit Bat. Must log off now, and cannot return until tomorrow. I will let you know how I got on though. Thanks

woodchip 17:04 15 Sep 07

Right click My Computer choose Manage, the choose disc management right click the drive and make it active not format

fishface113 20:30 15 Sep 07

Daft as it may sound it could be the caddy itself! I had the same problem, removed the drive and physically installed it to the PC - worked fine. There was not enough power to power the drive up, but I could still see it. Got a new caddy and all was fine.

Good luck

passant 00:35 16 Sep 07

Hullo Woodchip. I have already tried making it Active in Disk management, but that made no difference, I'm afraid.

Hullo fishface113 I hate to appear so ignorant, but I've no idea what a caddy is.

a caddy is a hard drive enclosure, commonly used to house a internal hard drive, so it can be used as a external hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now