external cd/dvd writer to replace dead internal

notrom 08:54 19 Aug 06

I have a 5-year-old Dell 4100, Windows ME, Pent III. I think my CD-writer is dead (it thinks CD-Rs are CD-RWs - have tried here and at Adaptec/Roxio for advice but to no avail). Is the following a suitable replacement and will it be compatible?

"LaCie d2 External CD-RW Firewire - 52x24x52x Drive MINT CONDITION STILL IN SEAL WRAP. (£25 )
This LaCie CD-RW drive offers fast recording speeds for storing and archiving your valuable data, as well as simple setup and installation. The LaCie CD Utilities includes all of the necessary drivers plus Easy CD Creator for PC and Toast for Mac with Manual, please note can use Roxio Toast 6 and 7 Titanium software for this drive - 52X write, 24X rewrite, 52X read speeds Stackable desktop design with rackmount capability Two FireWire ports Mac and Windows-compatible."

A speedy answer would be appreciated as I don't think at that price it'll be on sale for long!

Strawballs 09:51 19 Aug 06

It proberbly will be on sale for a while because you can get internal DVD writers for less than that. click here

al224 09:56 19 Aug 06

Should work - have you got any moneyback garantee - if you have you can send it back if it doesnt work.

al224 09:57 19 Aug 06

By the way - check to see if the laser is dirty on the internal dead one. It may work if you clean it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:59 19 Aug 06

To replace an internal CD/DVD takes 4 screws and two cables very easy to do.

Front loading drive install (with pictures)
click here

Install guides
click here

notrom 10:51 19 Aug 06

Thanks all for your speedy responses:

Strawballs - am aware internal drives much cheaper but opening up a pc and replacing the drive makes me break out in cold sweat, and for an extra £5-10 I'd prefer the coward's route!

al224 - tried a disk lens cleaner, still no go. Doubt if there's a money back guarantee; it's a private seller and as far as I can see a new LaCie d2 would cost not far short of £100.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - see my reply to Strawballs. It may be 'very easy to do' for you but to me, something of a technophobe, a quick glance at your first link looks very complicated with lots of different cables, sockets, etc (haven't had time to check the second link yet.) However, in the first link there's a section on Optimising the set-up where it states that DMA (direct memory access) must be enabled. Have no idea how or why, but on checking the device manager discovered that my DMA ain't enabled - could this be the cause of my problems and should I enable for blue-sky bliss and satisfaction???

NB if I do get the LaCie, I assume it has its own burning software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 19 Aug 06

Yes re-enable DMA (if it will let you).

Please explain your original problem I missed the thread and may be able to help.
It doesn't really matter if CD-Rs ane thought of as CD-RW.

What sort of buning software are you using?

notrom 11:16 19 Aug 06

Fruit Bat /\0/
Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02

Original problem was that when trying to burn an audio cd from CD image, I get the following warning: ‘The CD in your CD-recorder is a CD-RW (rewritable) CD. CD-RW CDs may not be played in your home or car stereos.’ Clicking ‘OK to record the CD anyway’, at 67% of the recording phase the disk is ejected and the recording track skipped. Errors reported by the output device: DO100: I/0 error (05/27/00)- CD error. Clicking on help to see what this means gives error as ‘CD is write protected.’

I have attempted to record at the slowest speed and, if memory serves, some time ago (months) I tried recording having closed down background programmes (anti-virus, etc, etc) but still with no success.

notrom 11:22 19 Aug 06

Fruit Bat /\0/

Have just tried to enable DMA - get following warning: 'DMA might not be compatible with your controller, hard drive or CD-ROM drive. Contact your hardware manufacturer or check their web sit to verify that the hardware device supports DMA. Click OK to enable DMA.'

Any danger if I attempt to enable and it isn't compatible?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:02 19 Aug 06

1. check:- My computer - right click drive - select properties - recording tab - tick box "Enable CD recording on this drive"

2. enable DMA and see what happens it cannot damage the hardware

3. CD writing problems
click here

4. try Deepburner click here and se if that copies ok

what make, model of CD writer?

notrom 12:16 19 Aug 06

Fruit Bat /\0/
Sorry, probably me being dim but right-clicking E drive in My Computer and then properties I only get the pie chart indicating used/free space. I have Sony CD-RW CRX160E. Am checking your links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac