External backup

Rosalie86 02:17 AM 15 Jan 12

Hi all,

I have a external drive that I use for backup! I can backup my laptop to it, but not my desktop.. it fails and says the hard drive isn#t ready.There is loads of space on the external hard drive.

Regards

Taff™ 08:56 AM 15 Jan 12

How are you backing up? Are you using a software program like Acronis True Image or Norton or are you simply copying and pasting data using Windows Explorer.

The actual message detail might be useful.

Rosalie86 09:43 AM 15 Jan 12

Hi, thanks for your reply

On the Laptop I used the Backup software you get with Windows (No problem). On the desktop I've tried The windows backup software and drag and drop..

Regards

Taff™ 09:53 AM 15 Jan 12

Which operating systems are on each computer? Can you check what file system is used on the external backup for me. (Right click the drive in Windows Explorer and select properties) Also the make and model of the external backup.

robin_x 09:58 AM 15 Jan 12

What model drive is it?

Taff™ 11:03 AM 15 Jan 12

Morning robinofloxley! Already asked that one. Bet it`s FAT32.

Rosalie86 11:42 AM 15 Jan 12

Thanks for you's reply! It's a NTFS

robin_x 11:53 AM 15 Jan 12

NTFS is how it's formatted.

Also, is it Western digital, Seagate etc? Have a look at these for the Mfr and type and size.

And are you running XP/Vista or Windows 7 on your computers?

Rosalie86 11:58 AM 15 Jan 12

Sorry, I mean't to say also.. The External hard drive is one I had from an old pc and put in a case.. The strange thing about all this, is I can backup my laptop to it no problem..

Rosalie86 12:00 PM 15 Jan 12

The drive is a Samsung 250g, put in a case.

Rosalie86 12:01 PM 15 Jan 12

Running XP

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…