External Backup

Macnut 15:21 20 Mar 04

I am looking for a cheap external backup device c 40GB Any ideas

Diodorus Siculus 16:02 20 Mar 04

Two questions:

for a mac?

Cheap: not a good idea for your backups!

Perhaps a USB2 / firewire hdd may be suitable.

pj123 16:10 20 Mar 04

I don't know of any "cheap" external backup devices. You only have two options: a Zip drive or a Tape Streamer, neither of which are cheap. Your best bet would be Acronis True Image which, if you have a CD Rewriter will backup everything to CD for you.

edstowe 16:24 20 Mar 04

External backups often cause problems. You would most likely be better if you could install a second hard drive into your machine and backup to that.

I fully endorse Diodorus Siculus' comment: Cheap: not a good idea for your backups!

€d

wee eddie 18:05 20 Mar 04

Of these an external hard drive is likely to be compatible for the longest period of time.

That is, so long as you can connect a cable to it and of course a Firewire or USB Port.

CD's and DVDs frequently need special software to read them, and deteriorate at a stunning speed - 2 to 5 years.

I am not an expert on the stability of tapes and they are rarely discussed her but have a high reputation. However, in the old days, the magnetic medium on the surface of the tape was prone to migrate to the adjacent tape on the reel.

I'm sure that there is something wrong with external Hard Drives but that's the way I've gone for long term back-up, using Zip Disks for the short term.

byfordr 20:55 20 Mar 04

Try the Maxtor Onetouch. £100 - 120gb. Decent dantz backup software as well. Compatable with Mac and PC.

click here They have a 120gb for a shade over £100 (if you sign up to the website and use the 10% discount)

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…