Extensive start up time XP Home

Pita BT 11:56 25 May 05

Hi folks.
I think I may have a problem. In fact it would seem certain I have.
Startup time is taking in the region of 90 seconds before all disk activity ceases and business can begin.
I enabled bootlogging and was amazed to find a file size of over 6mb. On checking a previous bootlog logged in January this year, the size was 17kb.
Looking at the log there is an awful long list of repeated driver loadings. I took one driver (USBPrint.sys) and checked the number of loadings. An amazing 369 times. I then took other examples and gave up counting after 100 loadings of another 3 drivers. It seems that all drivers are repeatedly loading.
Has anyone any idea what may be going on and what the solution could be. It is obviously not right that the boot is behaving in this manner.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
This is a pre-installed version of XP Home and no CD was supplied, so a repair of XP might be a problem, if that should be deemed the solution.

Pita BT 19:21 25 May 05

Anyone????

stalion 19:27 25 May 05

do a scan with these and then run cc cleaner
click here
click here
click here

Joe R 19:36 25 May 05

Pita BT,

click on start-run, and type in msconfig, hit the enter key, and then click on startup.

See what programs are running on startup, and delete those that are not needed. If you are unsure which to delete, post back with a list.

woodchip 19:38 25 May 05

So how did you enable boot log

Pita BT 20:08 25 May 05

Thank you both for your response.
Adaware is always run regularly every 2 days, as it AVG and Spybot.
Thanks for the other two downloads.
Use of msconfig is known and only startup programmes that are required are enabled.
None of these remedies have been effective. The problem seems to be repeated loading of drivers. I cannot seem to be able to find what is triggering the repeated actions.
The registry has been cleaned recently of all trash. This has made no difference.
However, the most recent bootlog has diminished to 57kb indicating that there is some instability somewhere.
I ran chkdisk and found some bad sectors. These have been fixed and I think it is this that led to diminished number of driver loads. Still too many though. About 6 for each driver. Much improvement on 369.
However I still feel that one load of each driver should be sufficient. LOL
Has anyone else checked their bootlog to see if repeated drivers loads is taking place? For all I know it may be the norm. I have no way of telling.

Pita BT 20:12 25 May 05

Enable bootlog by hitting F8 key during startup until screen appears with Safe mode menu. Enable bootlogging is one of the items on that menu. When done you have to find ntbtlog.txt in C:/Windows. Double click on it to open it in Notepad.
This is for XP o/s

Joe R 20:14 25 May 05

Pita BT,

Can you go to, control panel-system-advanced-startup and recovery-settings and click on edit.

Would you copy and paste what this bootup log says.?

Pita BT 20:20 25 May 05

Okay thanks. Here it is....
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /bootlog

Joe R 20:26 25 May 05

Pita BT, could you save the copy you have just posted, to your desktop, and try this one. If it does not work it is just a matter of going in in safe mode and changing it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Pita BT 20:39 25 May 05

Okay thanks for that. Will do as you ask but will have to postpone the action until tomorrow afternoon. I have an early start at 4 am tomorrow morning and need to retire now otherwise I shall get so involved I will not get enough sleep. Because of the job I do, sleep is important. Thanks for your help. I will repost tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…