Extension file causing problems

goodtry 03:28 14 Aug 06

While opening my D drive to access my files, I noticed that an Application Extension File had appeared in the drive suddenly. The name of the file: msvcr70.dll.
It had not been there before and I thought it was a Windows Registry Error. I then installed Norton System-Works in order to carry out a Windows Registry Scan. Quite a number of errors were noted, so I had the program fix them.
However, after that, I noticed that when I open Windows Media Player, an error message appears. It reads: “an internal application error has occurred”. I also noticed that I could not run System Restore to restore my computer to the time before I carried out the Registry fix. When I tried to carry out a search on my computer, the Search Assistant did not appear.
Now, when I surf websites that are made up of many frames on Internet Explorer, I cannot access the frames by clicking on the navigation buttons. How should I solve this problem?

click here

vinnyT 13:09 14 Aug 06

.dll refers to dynamic link library, basically windows needs these files to enable it to run certain progs.

If you look at this link click here, it explains what msvcr70.dll is and why you need it. As msvcr70.dll is not loaded with a windows installation, chances are that some prog you have installed relies on it, prob according to the link, a .net prog.

Just done a search of my pc and I have 3158 .dll files, most are loaded into c:\windows\system (or system32) though others are dotted throughout my pc folders.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…