Extending wireless range

villa-ru 20:56 07 Dec 05

Hi,
I have a Dell inspiron 9300, connected through wanadoo wireless broadband. It doesn't reach far enough to use through the house, so on the (possibly inaccurate) advice of shop staff I bought a 'belkin wireless G range extender / access point'. Being very un-techy, opeingin the box is about as far as i've got!
the instuctions start by saying I need to enter a mac adress from the extender into the router's set up utility, accessed through '192.168.2.1' in my browser. I assumes this must be for a belkin router, as nothing comes up for me.

Help - where do I go from here? can i sort it out, or do i have completley the wrong hardware?

thanks for you help....

Taff™ 12:17 08 Dec 05

Tell us exactly what you have (Make & Models) in terms of equipment. Laptop - Router/Modem and the new extender.

The 192.168.1.1 is the way to access a router modems setup screen but obviously you must be within range to do so. This address could be slightly different for your router/modem. That`s why we need to know the make & model.

bazb 13:49 08 Dec 05

Hi

Have a look at this click here It looks a bit pricey, but seems to be very easy to set up. It doesn't say that it needs to link through a router.

If your Wanadoo box is same as my daughters then it will only be a wirless modem and not a wireless modem/router, which is normaly used to extend a ADSL connection.

villa-ru 19:53 11 Dec 05

hi - more details are:

laptop - dell inspiron 9300

the wanadoo 'livebox' from their wireless & talk braodband service is a combined adsl modem & wirless router. it uses an inventel wireless adaptor (model ur054g v1.1)

extender I'm trying to use is Belkin wireless extender model f5d7130

Hope that helps - let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

Taff™ 23:20 13 Dec 05

So this is the Belkin click here and the Wanadoo Livebox help pages are here click here.

Can your laptop communicate with both the livebox and the Belkin?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…