Extending Wired Internet

BillyToups 14:20 12 Dec 14
Answered

I have a cottage approximately 350 to 400 feet from my home and I would like to have internet service there without purchasing an additional internet subscription.

I receive fiber optics internet service at my home and can get up to 50 MB service.

My questions are:

1. How far can internet service be extended by wire?

2. Is Cat6 wire OK to use and, if not, what is the best wire to use?

3. What is the optimum depth the wire should be buried?

4. Should I use 1 or more repeaters on the line extension? If so, where?

5. Would increasing the internet speed at my home improve the strength of the signal at the cottage?

6. Are there other considerations for this project that I should know about?

I look forward to your answers and can't tell you how much I will appreciate them.

Billy

Jollyjohn 16:12 12 Dec 14
Answer

Cat6 cable is fine. I have taken a wire out of a window, round 2 sides of a house and down a floor, with the wire just attached to the building. Has been running ok for 5 years. The house in question is a very large 3 story Victorian property.

I would consider putting a second router, set up as a switch, on the end of the cable but would not use a repeater.

Your speed won't make a difference to the signal at the cottage.

I am not sure about burying the cable, it would need an outer casing for protection.

alanrwood 16:32 12 Dec 14

The simplest way is simply to run a Cat6 (preferable to keep the line loss to a minimum) from your current router down to the cottage. You could terminate it in a wall socket if you wish to be a bit posh. If you do that you don't need anything else. If you want to connect more than one device at the cottage then a cheap 5 way unmanaged Switch (around £15) will allow 4 devices to connect.

The only problem is that it would not be wise to lay it in the ground without protection in case someone puts a spade through it by accident. It is not essential as the cable does not carry mains voltages (which would require armoured cable or other protection).

spuds 16:32 12 Dec 14

Originally I had a cable running from my property to an outbuilding approx 900 feet away, strung overhead with a support wire. This arrangement had a number of problems due to height, so we eventually went the underground way. Ran the cable through a protective sheath, sealed at both ends, buried about 2 feet below ground. The depth would depend on the surrounding the route will take. That was done about six years ago, with no problems.

alanrwood 18:34 12 Dec 14

Spuds

Yes that is the best solution but adds to the cost in getting some protection. Maybe you could advise what you used and possible costs

robintheumpteenth 19:28 12 Dec 14

If it was just an outbuilding or shed, on the same house mains supply, it might be possible to use Powerline adapters or extenders.

-^-^-

If there are no significant obstructions between house and cottage, I would exhaust all possibilities of the following, rather than digging trenches-

Wifi range extenders

Long range extenders

High power access points

(chop and change key words and add extras as necessary)

-^-^-

If you do go for a trench, direct burial cat5 and 6 cable is available.

I'd still be worried about moles, rabbits and rats (unless the manufacturer said it was OK)

And I would want to bury at a decent depth with protection over the cable/conduit and warning tape in case of someone digging.

bumpkin 21:56 12 Dec 14

Having got it wrong myself and regretted it I would suggest that if you are going to the trouble burying it then use a decent sized ducting say 3". A bit more expense of course and you will have to do it in sections in order to feed the cable through. Also at the same time feed through one or two nylon drawer cords so that should you ever need to replace the cable or instal additional ones then it will be relatively easy. A bit of extra work and expense now is better than having to dig it up again in a fews years time when circustances have changed.

alanrwood 10:16 13 Dec 14

That is really good advice.

spuds 11:15 13 Dec 14

alanrwood - Originally it was our intentions to use 32mm x 3metre waste pipe connected with weld/seal couplings, but was fortunate to get full length of nylon utility pipe of slightly larger bore. We were able to use the pipe to our advantage by adding not only the bb/telephone, cctv cable, plus sheathed electric power cable through the bore. The ends were terminated with sealant, plus inserted into distribution boxes inside the buildings. Digging out was via a 3" ripper blade on a Powerfab digger we had, which made short work of things.

To go the 32mm waste pipe route now via a Toolstation price would be 20 off 32mm x 3metre £28.66 or 40mm at £35.85 plus connectors at about 68p each.

Like bumpkin suggested, use a cord and leave in situ, should any further cables require inserting etc. We were originally warned that the power cable 'field' might interfere with the other cables 'electronically', but we haven't found this to be the case.

bumpkin 12:21 13 Dec 14

Spuds, to satisfy my curiosity how did you feed through the initial cable/draw cord.

bumpkin 21:26 13 Dec 14

/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac