Extending Wi-Fi to 100 metres

SandyBarnes 16:53 12 Jan 15

We live on a farm with two houses. The main farmhouse has broadband and Wi-Fi. We want to extend the Wi-Fi to the second house which is about 100 metres away across open ground. We've tried a normal Netgear range extender but the signal at the second house is very weak and frequently disappears altogether. Any suggestions on how we can extend Wi-Fi to the second house and get a reasonable strength, stable signal there.

john bunyan 17:19 12 Jan 15

Would you be able to sling a 100m Ethernet cable on poles (with due consideration for wet, etc?) If so I think you could either have a second, cascaded router at the second property, or a wi fi extender plugged in at the far end. I would carefully cost these options and wait for other suggestions. I assume the two properties are not on the same electricity circuit? If so homeplugs are possible.

Bris 18:42 12 Jan 15

If you are unable to lay in an ethernet cable as suggested by John one of these may do the trick.

It replaces your internal wifi lan card.

Basically you connect it to the remote PC not the router via the supplied USB cable which is 5 meters long, you can then position the unit high up in the property where the signal has line of site to the router. Its just a more efficient aerial.

The other way to do it is to connect an amplifier to the router, however I have reservations about this method as on the face of it its a better approach. In this solution the amplifier sits in between the router and its aerial i.e. you remove the aerial from the router, connect the amplifier to the router where the aerial was connected and attach the new aerial to the amp.

The reason I have doubts is that firstly your router must have a detachable aerial, these amps appear to be sold mainly in America and come from China and have a continental plug so there is a question over voltage. But iff you want to have a look click here.

There are a number of versions with a widely varying price.

I have no experience of either method but would try the first one and if you buy from Amazong and it doesnt work as required you can always return it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes