Extending Primary Partition

climb45 00:35 11 Feb 05

I have a 20Gb hard drive which I divided into one primary partition (6Gb)plus one extended partition with 3 logical drives. At the time 6Gb seemed plenty large enough for Windows 98, but the upgrade to XP Home soon filled up the partition and I am now unable to install SP2 because of lack of space. XP disk management doesn't allow the extension of the primary partition.

Does anyone know of another method?

Jeffers22 00:38 11 Feb 05

Partition Magic 8 will allow you to merge the two partitions. A free alternative is Ranish Partition Manager from click here. Not sure if it provides a merge facility, but you could certainly delete the second partition, then incorporate the free space created into C: Doing this will lose everything on the D: partition. Merging with Partition Magic may lose data, but it hasn't lost me data since version 2 in Win95 days.

climb45 23:17 21 Feb 05

Many thanks. I actually bit the bullet and reformatted to entire drive by using the Windows full reinstallation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…