Extending partitions is it possible

woodyturner 15:32 17 Aug 06

I am running XP and my hard drive has been partitioned, unfortunatley C is only 2.5GB and I keep getting messages that I need to deleat programs to make room on c drive, there is an unnamed empty partition in front of c but I do not know how I can make this partition usable.
The disk has c d e anf f partitions, plus the one mentioned at the top of the page. is it possible to extend c to solve to problem of free space

brundle 15:42 17 Aug 06

back up important information, make a boot floppy with click here or click here, resize

vinnyT 15:52 17 Aug 06

It's poss to do this using xp but, if there is any data or sofrware progs installed the partition you are extending to (if that makes any sense) ie c: - d:, then you are likely going to lose all or part of it. So, make a backup of all your data, make sure you know where all your sw disks are (if sw is installed on d:) and also any passwords/reg nos, etc.

Ok;

-right click 'my computer' select manage

-disk management, you will now have to delete a partition (prob d: in this case)

-you should now be able to extend your c: partition over the part that isn't in use (previously known as d:) by dragging the c: partion.

If there are programs/data that you need to preserve, then a prog like partition magic will do all this for you without losing any data and it's easier for disk management.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's done, working from memory.

PS you break something I accept no liability;-)

wee eddie 23:48 17 Aug 06

And leave "C" for Windows only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…