Extending Network Range - NetGear WGXB102

psalmist 11:50 31 Jul 06

I'd appreciate any comments on this "solution" to limited range/deadspots.
I'm not that great on networks but have successfully set up a Linksys WAG354G based network at our office. Dedicated telephone line comes in on first floor, so that is where the Linksys is located. First floor range is fine, but for users on ground floor (old building)reception is weak or just not available.
I tried improving things by fitting a Linksys High Gain Antenna to the WAG354G, but the difference is marginal.
I've looked at access points, repeaters, etc, but tend to get a little confused by the jargon. Also unsure regarding compatibility with the WAG354G.
I've now come across the Netgear kit which, on the face of it, appears to be a very straightforward solution. I'd really appreciate any feedback before making the purchase.
Many thanks

spikeychris 12:24 31 Jul 06

An access point will solve your problem and its very simple. Is it possible to run a Cat5 cable down to the ground floor? If so that would fix your problem as you could just shove an access point on the end of it.

psalmist 14:35 31 Jul 06

Thanks for that suggestion, and I may end up doing just that, but a wireless solution would be preferable.

spikeychris 17:52 31 Jul 06

click here This repeater works a treat.

Strawballs 22:53 31 Jul 06

click here Is this the sort of thing that you are looking for.

spikeychris 08:24 01 Aug 06

Strawballs - please note my link!

psalmist 09:09 01 Aug 06

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion of using a WRE54 Expander. As mentioned in my original post, one concern I have is compatability. Within the detail on the WRE54 it says " is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers." It makes no mention of my WAG354G. What do you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017