Extending length of wired connection

  dooplex 21:41 10 Feb 08

just bought a new desktop pc which is not located next to my router (not ready for wireless yet!). To avoid any drop in broadband performance, is it better to use a longer RJ45 cable, or a longer RJ11 cable? Or is there no difference between the two options?

  Kemistri 22:33 10 Feb 08

The plug types don't have any effect; it's the wire that matters. That's stating the obvious, of course, but you mention jack types without mentioning the wire types that you will use. I cannot recall the specs for typical internal telephone cabling, but Cat5e crossover can be used at up to 90-100m, theoretically. It's a very robust data link and would always be my preference given the choice.

  The Old Mod 14:55 11 Feb 08

I agree with Kemistri, from what I know about your question, you would be better off, running a Cat5e cable (RJ545) to your PC, rather than a long telephone extension (RJ11).
Hope this helps.

  The Old Mod 14:56 11 Feb 08

Sorry, for the typing error, RJ45

  dooplex 08:52 12 Feb 08

Thanks for your advice Kemistri and Old Mod - will go with the Cat5e extension

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos