Extending BT HomeHub router range with AP

tony910 22:40 18 Nov 06

I've just subscribed to BT Total Broadband with the fancy BT HomeHub router etc and an 8mb connection. Whilst ordering this in itself has aged me 10 years my problem is that amongst other things, the range of the router is terrible. Rather than 'not putting it next to a wall' (thanks BT support!!!), I do have a perfectly good netgear DG834GT wireless router. My question is : Is it possible to set the netgear adsl modem up as an access point to extend the range of hte BT routre and if so, how. I can't find any information on how to do this and Lord knows I've tried. Any expert help would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks - Tony910

dms05 16:22 19 Nov 06

Have you tried changing the WiFi channel used by the BT kit. Try them all (1 thro 11). Sometimes you get interference from other electrical equipment (cordless DECT phones, Microwave Ovens) so also try moving the BT Hub around a bit. Or even nearby WiFi.

You could attach a proper Access Point to the BT Hub, simply use an Ethernet cable between the connectors on both units, then set up the AP.

But I'd try making your BT kit work first.

dms05 16:28 19 Nov 06

You could also try running Netstumbler - it will help you see other WiFi near by click here

tony910 18:13 20 Nov 06

Thanks dms05. Changing channel doesn't seem to have improved anything much. I was hoping to see if I could wirelessly connect an AP as then I can put it in another part of the house where the signal is weak. Also, can a netgear DG834GT be used as a wireless AP?

Ashrich 21:28 20 Nov 06

See if BOTH can use WDS ( wireless distribution system )

Ashley

gudda96 16:52 04 Dec 06

Tony

I am glad to join this discussion as I have similar problem.

I am an experienced desktop user and I have BT BB basic and it works fine and has done for a while.My desktop is situated in an upstairs bedroom which I use as an office.

I recently bought a laptop, the idea being I could take it downstairs to work on at night so I decided to buy a router. I bought one from PCWorld for £50ish but I did not open it as I had not bought LT yet.

I then bought my LT from john lewis and the guy who served me knew quite a lot about pc's so when he told me I would be better off with a BT Home Hub, I took him at his word and I returned the one to PCW and got my money back.

I now use my BT hub and it works when I take LT downstairs but the signal becomes weak. I got onto bt help where you have a 1 x 1 type conversation and he took me down the route of changing channels to no avail.

I have just spoken to J.Lewis backup and he said BT hub is useless in comparison to netgear etc so I am going to try and get my money back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced