Extend Wireless / Wired Network

Smitster 13:46 PM 22 Sep 12

Hi all - wonder if you can help me.

I currently have a Sky router (with wireless / wired connnections) connected to a BT phone line in the top bedroom. There are connections from this router to a bedroom PC and it also acts as a wireless point for my iPad / iPhone when i'm upstairs.

I currently have an ethernet cable running from this primary router to the living room downstairs, for a hardwire connection into the downstairs PC as well.

However, my wireless coverage downstairs is incredibly weak and I am looking to boost this so that that the apple devices can function properly here. I would also like the option of connecting more hardwired devices downstairs (e.g. the laptop).

Was thinking of buying a second router

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YETVTQ/ref=ohdetailso00s00i00

and connecting it via the ethernet cable to the primary router upstairs, to act as a switch / wireless booster for the wired / wireless devices downstairs.

Would this work, and if so, will there be any config required?

Thanks for your help,

Strawballs 17:23 PM 23 Sep 12

If you get a second router buy a cable router to use as a wireless access point and plug you downstairs wired point into that.Or you could use a wireless range extender

Range extender

onthelimit1 09:48 AM 24 Sep 12

I have a similar setup to you, and I use Netgear wireless router plugged into the ethernet cable. I had to do some tweaks to the IP address, but it now works fine. Or, as suggested, [something like this ]1

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites