Extend Wireless Signal via Repeater on BT Home Hub 5

bbr620 10:02 10 May 15
Answered

Hi all. BT HH 5 signal is poor upstairs in an old stone wall house. I am planning on fitting a repeater upstairs to the existing router, via Ethernet and was wondering if i could use a powerline adapter which makes home electrical wiring into an ethernet cable to join the HH5 & repeater up (assuming the powerline adapter is on the same ring main).

i'm assuming i could use a powerline adapter with wi-fi hotspot but i have a repeater in the cupboard which may do the same job?

would this kit do the job? click here help, thanks in advance.

Any

Gordon Freeman 10:36 10 May 15

Not sure that your 'click here' is the right bit of kit.

With those it looks like you'd need to connect to them via another ethernet lead (i.e. connection would be: hhub>homeplug via ethernet lead>mains socket upstairs>downstairs homeplug>mains socket downstairs>ethernet lead>laptop/other device)?

If you want to extend the wifi signal, and connect say a laptop wirelessly, then you need a wifi extender kit, such as devolo or another brand which would be avalable from Curry's, but more expensive than the homeplugs in your 'click here'.

bbr620 13:17 10 May 15

thanks gordon. i'm not at my house as it's my Girlfriends house where the problem is but i'm sure the repeater is what you suggest (wireless signal booster).

wee eddie 15:33 10 May 15

Look in the Review Section of the Magazine. Several there to think about.

I would suggest that the model you buy has a Pass-through Function. The Primary Unit goes by the Router and is connected directly to it. Thereafter you can scatter other units wherever in the House you wish.

Unless most of the Household has desktops, I would suggest that you buy a set that can enable at least one remote WiFi Hotspot.

bbr620 15:43 10 May 15
Answer

thanks eddie. i went out and got a BT Mini Wifi Home Hotspot 500 kit and signal is great upstairs now. Easy to setup and just cloned SSID / password to hotspot so both floors on same network now. thanks again for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…