exporting/importing I.E address book.

rex 21:48 10 Mar 04

I am about to embark on a clean install to a new hard drive. Is there a way of takeing a copy of my addreess book and then copying it back to my new hard drive?.

christmascracker 22:05 10 Mar 04

Open address book, file/export/address book(WAB). Choose where you want to save it. Should fit on a floppy.

To put it back, file/import point it to where you saved it.

Diodorus Siculus 22:07 10 Mar 04

File

export

give it a name

Save to floppy / cd etc.

Diodorus Siculus 22:08 10 Mar 04

I must refresh before posting.

Mike2002 22:15 10 Mar 04

christmascracker:
I tried that same method but, for reason unknown, when Itried Exporting it back I got an error message (didn't make a note of it). I tried opening the .wab file in different programs, but there was no useful (incomplete) information.

I did see this advice on a webpage (url not noted, but see text below) which used a different method. The Export funtion worked better (at least it was readable) although I haven't tried a full Export/Import.

I recommend that you create an emergency backup of the Address Book as well. Open the Address Book by double-clicking the *.wab file. Click File| Export| Other Address Book, then click on Text File (Comma Separated Values). Click the Export button, specify a destination folder, and click Next. Select all the fields shown for a complete backup, then click Finish. The resulting *.csv file can later be imported using File| Import| Other Address Book| Text File (Comma Separated Values).

Diodorus Siculus 22:20 10 Mar 04

Mike2002 - if you saved to a CD-R you may have gotten a message that it was "read only" - it needs to be copied to the hdd and the "read only" attribute unticked from properties.

djsew 23:23 10 Mar 04

That .wab export routine must be launched from the Addressbook screen; the export facility under Outlook Express>File>Export does not produce the goods...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…