Exporting addresses

surfer47 17:08 21 May 06

I have broadband from BT/Yahoo and a web based email account which contains my addresses. I want to transfer these to the Windows XP Address book.The Import Export options, in File, only seem to apply to Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express neither of which I have. How might I go about transferring my addresses?
Regards
Mike

Taff™ 19:23 21 May 06

I`ve had a quick look in my BT Openworld Webmail account (which is of course Yahoo! now.) If you go to the export section below Import click on the Yahoo CSV - choose save and type a suitable name for the file. Once completed open the file and you should have all the info on your hard disk. Post back with details of the program that opened the file. (Excel or Works Spreadsheet perhaps?)

surfer47 19:31 21 May 06

Taff. Thanks for coming back. The program that opened the file was Excel. What do I do next?
Mike

Taff™ 23:55 21 May 06

OK - Windows XP ships with Outlook Express so look for it under Start>All Programs you can then access your address book from the icon.

Alternatively, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Address Book. From here go to File>Import>Other Address book and select Text File (Comma seperated Values). Make sure your Excel file is closed. Then navigate to the Excel file using the browse button and click the Import Button.

You will have to "Map the fields" by, from memory, ticking the appropriate field and selecting the corresponding one from the drop down box.

I can see a problem however if for example the imported file has several fields for the address e.g. AddressLine1, AddressLine2 etc or similar. Address book will only let you map one field to it`s address field although the City and Postcode fields are seperate.

If you have Excel wasn`t it part of an Office Package with Word, Powerpoint etc? Let us know how you get on!

surfer47 10:29 28 May 06

Taff. I tried your suggestions but got lost in the "mapping" so I just re entered the addresses, luckily there were not that many.
Thanks again.

surfer47 10:32 28 May 06

I can't listen to Radio 4 on the LW when my PC is on, there is lots of interference and not just in the room where the PC is. Has anyone got any suggestions to over come this.

surfer47 10:38 28 May 06

OOps last posting in wrong box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…