explorer.exe and xp sp2 issues

Blues Brothers 17:11 30 May 05

Has anyone had problems with explorer.exe using excessive cpu resources.
I initially had the problem and tried running antivirus,spyware and many other tools to try and rectify it but none worked.
I have now completely reformatted my HDD and have reinstalled windows xp sp1 and it runs fine. As soon as i do all the updates and install sp2 i get the problems mentioned above.
Anyone else had similar problems or know a solution ?

Thanks in advance

Joe R 17:15 30 May 05

Go to start, run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the hyphens.

Make sure you have your xp cd inserted.

Blues Brothers 17:41 30 May 05

Ok i've done that and it still seems the same.
As i watch task manager explorer.exe jumps from 00 to 25 in 1 second pulses when idle almost like a clock.
On the other pc i have running here it stays around about 00 - 05 when idle .

gudgulf 19:47 30 May 05

Hi Blues Brothers.........been on holiday for a few days so couldn't add to your last thread.I was going to suggest this as an alternative to the spyware problem as I think your explorer.exe problem was not related to the spyware you had on your system.

Check what programs you have running at start up as one of those might be the culprit.You could boot into safe mode and see if the same thing happens....it points to a process that loads at start up for sure if it does.

But first defragment your drive......SP2 adds lots of new system files and you might find explorer.exe is a lot happier with a freshly defragmented drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…